rpm: read manifest failed:

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Wed Sep 1 13:46:29 UTC 2004

Recently, on several servers, I have been seeing the following message when
I attempt to install rpms:

Package.xyz.rpm: read manifest failed: Success

I am seeing it on ES2.1 and ES3.0 with rpms that I am trying to install from
cd or from rpm's that I have downloaded.  The message itself is a bit of an
oxymoron.  My googles have proved fruitless and I cannot find any real
definition of what this message is really saying.

Ultimately, I cannot install any rpms.  Does anybody know how to get past
this?  Thanks.

Regards, Marshall