bash error after ksh installation

Brian D. McGrew brian at doubledimension.com
Thu Sep 16 17:30:55 UTC 2004

Well, you're off into the major complexities of the login environment
now.  Now if take a login like mine which has about 100 files in it,
all sorts of functions and macros and then throw on top of that the
fact that I login with csh as my default shell and then my .csh.once
file starts bash, it should be anywhere.

I'd start by first removing ARCserve and switching to Veritas it'll
save you a lot of headaches in the future (I know, probably not
feasible).

Secondly, I'd go though all your startup files (.bash_alias,
.bash_profile, .bash_login, etc.) and adding echo statements for create
yourself a debug() shell function that you can call as your login is
parsed.  Most likely the error is coming from an 'if [ whatever];'
statement that's not being properly evaluated now.

HTH,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew		{ brian at doubledimension.com ||
pacemakertaker at yahoo.com }