BIND Questions

Harry hari76 at omantel.net.om
Sun Sep 19 15:45:43 UTC 2004

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Harry wrote:
>
>> Hi I know this has been asked a zillion times, but I am still confused
>> on this subject, and no search on the Net has cleared my doubts.
>
> www.howstuffworks.com is a great resource if you are confused about DNS
> and its operation.
>
>> I have some Public Ips, which I have got from my ISP as I am their
>> leased line customers. On one of the Ips I want to host my online
>> website, my conufusion starts here
>>
>> 1) Do I have to make Zone Files for the site on THIS LINUX server which
>> will have the contents of the website?
>
> No. (See above)
I will read this, thanks for yr info.

>> 2)Once I regsiter my Domain for
>> eg.with Regsiter.com, what will be the DNS settings that I will have to
>> put ?will it be my ISPs DNS settings?
>
> Most ISP's will provide a service that will allow you to register a domain
> and they will provide all the necessary setup and configuration and will
> house your zones for you. you can then say "hi, can you please point
> xyz.server.com at the IP 1.2.3.4 and they will handle it for you. This is
> probably your best option to start with. After this you can then start
> playing with DNS to get a better understanding of how it works and then
> use the afore mentioned model to do things such as running a hidden
> primary and not run into as many issues should your link, dns or zone
> files become broken to the point of non-loading goodness.
>
> DNS can be incredibly confusing and difficult to fix should you accidently
> introduce problems with your zone file setups.
>
> On the other hand, if this is a small play around domain and it matters
> not if it works or not or takes weeks to repair should you get your TTL's
> wrong then by al means, break away. Again tho, a good starting point would
> be your registrar or ISP, they should have FAQ's or info that you can read
> up on that will help you get started.

I have a stupid ISP,who does domians only with their country specific, I have been trying to request them to do this with my .com domain but they seem to be headless, hence I thought let me try to put the DNS settings on my register.com site and see the affect. So u think that will work ?
Regards

Harry