Changing the version broadcasted by Sendmail

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Wed Sep 22 22:06:13 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 17:59, MKlinke wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 16:41, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > Hello,
<snip>
> > So my question, is there any way that I can change the version
> > broadcasted by sendmail, so that for example when I do 'telnet
> > machine 25' I get the 'required' version (ie. 8.12.11 or
> > whatever) ? I assume something like that is what the network
> > admin people here do to check the version of sendmail that I'm
> > running.
> >
> > Any suggestion ? Anyone's been in similar situation before ? what
> > do you do in that case ? Any respond will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > RDB
>
> Are your school's administrators proficient enough to understand the
> CVE (cve.mitre.org) designations?

Well, I hope they are !

> If so, just point them to the RH
> errata pages; e.g. https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-283.html
> which shows fixes in each package.

I did send them email again with this references. I hope that convince them,
but since they don't have access to the machine, all they can do to check is
from the broadcasted sendmail version. Apparently the broadcasted version
will still be 8.11.6, so they can still choose not to believe me. I am just
wondering if there's any way I can change that, just in case.

Thanks though.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja