How do I make a User login shutdown my box?

Stuart_Weaver at ElementK.com Stuart_Weaver at ElementK.com
Mon Sep 27 10:45:11 UTC 2004

How about using sudo.  Write a simple shell script to call sudo shutdown
then grant the sleep user access to this command with the NOPASSWD option
in the sudoers file.

Stuart Weaver
Unix Administrator
Element K
'the knowledge catalyst'
www.elementk.com

"Stuart Halliday" <StuartH at ecs-tech.com>
Sent by: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
09/27/2004 06:02 AM

Please respond to
General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

redhat-list at redhat.com
cc

Subject
How do I make a User login shutdown my box?

I've got RedHat 8 on a Athlon box and I'd like a user logon to perform a
shutdown of the box.

I was advised to do the following:
I've added a user called 'Sleep' and added this user to the root group via
the User Manager program and made its login shell /sbin/shutdown in the
/etc/passwd.

I've added in the users directory 2 lines in the .bashrc of:
PATH=$PATH:/sbin
export PATH
as I understand it this path isn't usually in a users path.

I added the user sleep to the /etc/shutdown.allow file as well.

But when I logon via the logon screen as user 'sleep', the picture goes
black and then comes back again!

I tried pressing ctrl-alt-del at the logon screen but a wee box pops up
asking for the root password to halt or reboot.

Any idea what else I need to do?

If any kind and knowledgeable person could guide me, I would welcome that.
:-)

--
Stuart Halliday