Anybody using VMWare? We're thinking of trying it.

Billy Davis bdavis at cds-corp.com
Mon Sep 27 12:42:39 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at Weiss.name>
To: "Redhat List" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 9:16 AM
Subject: Anybody using VMWare? We're thinking of trying it.

> Howdy!
>
> We're thinking of buying VMWare.  I remember seeing messages where folks
> might have had problems.  I'm just wondering if RHEL is a stable platform
> for using WinXP virtual machines in VMWare.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben

We are running VMware Workstation 4.5.2 under RHEW 3.   The package
installed easily (just followed the directions).  We have successfully set
up a WinXP (SP1) virtual machine and it works great.  We have a WinXP
terminal emulator that runs with our Linux application packages.  Before
VMware, in order to demo our applications to prospects, we had to use two
laptops, a Linux server laptop and a WinXP laptop, and connect them with a
cat 5 cable.  Then we could log the WinXP laptop onto the Linux server
laptop.  Lots of equipment and hassle!!!  Now, we can use a single laptop
without cabling, to demo, simply by bringing up the Linux server and then
clicking on the WinXP virtual machine icon.  It is a little slow to start
up, but acceptable.  After that, everything works fast and great.  This
product is worth every penny!!!

Bdavis