Tar Problem w/ 5+ Gig {Scanned}

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Sep 29 20:59:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:36:40PM -0400, SW wrote:
> I have a tar.gz file which is about 5 GB compressed size which I have been
> having lots of problem trying to move from a redhat linux box over to my
> windows xp system. I tried downloading it via ssh vftp and regular ftp but
> I'm having a very diffuclt time un-tarring it. i

First question - did you transfer it in binary mode when ftp'ing?  If
you didn't, your file is toast.

Can you expand the archive on Linux and then create smaller archives
(perhaps in zip format) for your XP system?

> The redhat linux and my
> windows computer are both on the same network. My default program is winrar
> which fails to untar the archive w/ "!Unexpected end of archive". So, I
> tried the win32 port of tar but to only find out that it can't read
> compressed archives tar.gz. :-(

winzip will handle compressed tar files just fine.

> My question is how do others do it when they need to move such large
> archives.

Don't use windows :-)

> Also, can I create multi volume archive and specify the size of each
> archive (like 500MB each)?

You could use zipsplit or split to break the file up.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org