Gnome performance question

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Sep 30 02:38:58 UTC 2004

Yin Ming wrote:
> I got the same problem. My box is very old, the K6-2 400M cpu, 128M
> SDRAM,

This doesn't meet the minimum requirements for a GUI-based Red Hat
distribution.  128MB is acceptable for text work but not for Gnome nor
KDE.  Red Hat Enterprise Linux (which uses most of the same core as RHL
8) has a minimum requirement of 256MB and 512MB is recommended.

> I thought it's because my poor box,

Your problems likely are.

> but Bob's box is
> pretty new, is this problem a bug or weakness of GNOME?

Your problem and Bob's are necessarily the same problem.

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:05:03 -0600 (MDT)
> Bob Smith <bob at netprt.com> wrote:
>

>>I have RH9, but have noticed the same situation with a Fedora installation.
>>Both of these installations are "as is," out of the box.  The hardware
>>is a 2.4 GHz Pentium on RH9 and 3.1 GHz Dell Optiplex GX280, respectively.
>>
>>There are times when the windowing system comes as close to freezing as
>>you can get, and then it takes a long time to launch a window or terminal.

This is a known problem and recent kernel releases have made the
situation better.  Not perfect, but better.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org