Tomcat5 on RHEL AS3? Has *ANYBODY* managed to install this <censored> package?

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:28:51 UTC 2004

It sounds like your running into a similar problem I did.  It unrelated
to Tomcat, rather its Java.

The package libgcj (I think) installed this shell script in /usr/bin
called java.  The way my PATH is setup is that this java was found
before Sun's JDK (which I installed by RPM).

I ended up deleteing this shell script (/usr/bin/java) as well as
/usr/bin/jar, and /usr/bin/javac.
After that Sun's JDK was correctly found.

The libgcj points to something in /etc/alternatives which points to
something else....I got a few explanations on here a while back which is
probably in the archives...

I'm willing to bet if you delete these shell scripts everything should
be okay.  I have them installed because I'm using Eclipse IDE which is
when I think the problem surfaced.  I haven't tried using Eclipse since
then, but I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Ryan