Provide SSH to someone w/ dynamic IP address {Scanned}

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Sat Sep 4 03:56:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, SW wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a RHE 3.0 behind a hardware firewall which currently blocks all ssh
> requests from the outside world. I need to provide one person access to the
> box via ssh from the outside but they are using Comcast cable which provide
> dynamic ip addresses. I tried to see about opening up port 22 on an ip block
> but comcast uses all kind of ip addresses and not just from one ip block.
>
> Is there any way to acomplish this without opening my box to the rest of the
> world?

Comcast does, indeed, have a rather wide IP addresses, true, but your
friend is only going to get an address in a small subnet.  For that
matter, their addres isn't going to change all that often.

That having been said, open up your system to the specific IP, or maybe a
255.255.255.0 worth of their range.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit