Ok I messed up some permissions. Help me change the owner of folders and files

Ben Sewell ben_sewell_007 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 5 13:16:21 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have a webserver on my red hat 9 system, and after doing some changes to
/etc/passwd to get something to work I got something not to work. PLease
bear with me, I don't remember exactly what I wanted to get fixed as I've
been very busy, but I know I edited the group IDs to be like this, again not
sure of exactly what it is now but just to get an idea:
pectabyte:802:802::/var/www/:bin/bash
Basicly I have a user- pectabyte who has their website stored in
/var/www/pectabyte. As a result of editing /etc/passwd, the files are now
owned by apache when before they were owned by pectabyte. My question is,
instead of simply copying the files and folders on to a new folder and
making the relevent changes to httpd.conf, can I just change the folder
owner instead, since everything under /var/www/pectabyte is just for that
user? Basicly I'm phyisically remote from my system and won't be there for
another 3 months so I have SSH setup and working so this is how I want to
solve this problem. I'm using putty as my SSH client.

Thanks for your assistance,
Ben