Operating System Not Found Error.

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Sep 6 11:47:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com wrote:

> I have come in this morning to find out one of Linux boxes a HP X4000
> running (Redhat 7.1) in a state where it cannot boot the operating system i
> get a black screen with the error below
>
> CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 E0 81 Q0 58 8C GUID.00000000.000 etc
> PXE-E53 NO BOOT FILENAME RECIEVED
> PXE- MQF EXISTING INTEL PXE ROM
> OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND
>
> Then it repeats itself over and over.
>
> It seems to be looking for DHCP for a while then gives up and keeps doing a
> loop, the strange thing is that it has not been set-up for DHCP . The
> machine has a static Mac address.
>
> Can someone please advise me on what to check and do in reasonable simple
> terms to sort this issue out. Thanks

Your computer is trying to boot over the network.  Double check your box's
BIOS settings to make sure that the hard drive is checked for boot before
the network.  If it is, your hard drive could be hosed.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit