Disk /dev/hde doesn't contain a valid partition table {Scanned}

SW wppiphoto at wppi.com
Tue Sep 7 05:23:01 UTC 2004

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused...;-)  I can write data to the drive
which is the only device on a Promise IDE PCI card. The system I have can
only support SCSI so I added a IDE card to put some cheap IDE drives for
backup purposes.

I ran fdisk /dev/hde and now it tells me:

 fdisk /dev/hde
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF
disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
w(rite)

I'm not sure what this means, but if I select the 'w' option, will this
destroy my data on this drive? Also if I try to do the print option in
fdisk, it doesn't show the ext3 partition I created:

Disk /dev/hde: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System

I know I created a partition and before quiting did the 'w' option to write
it which took a while to preform before fdisk existed. Could my problem be
that I ran a program which screwed up my partition table? I ran parted which
told me to run e2fsck due to a problem and then I ran fsck.ext3. Can any of
these programs destroy my partitions?

What should I do now?

Thanks,

SW