Still having problem with the device links

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Sep 7 20:06:21 UTC 2004

I was orginally having problems with xcdroast because /dev/cdrom was
linked to /dev/scd0.  scsi 0 or sg0 has a qualstar tape library with
two tape drives attached to it.  scsi 1 has a read-writeable cdrom
attached to it.

 From  "tail" of /var/log/dmesg

Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Attached scsi tape st1 at scsi0, channel 1, id2, lun 0
hdc:  attached ide-scsi driver.
scsi1  : SCSI host adapter emulation ofr IDE ATAPI devices
   Vendor:  SONY  Model:  CD-RW CRX160E...
   Type CD-ROM

I had to turn off the tape drive and reboot the system to get
"cdrecord -scanbus" to see the writeable cd.

When I shutdown the system, turn the library back on, and reboot, the
backup software can no longer see the tape library.

How do I get the scsi devices set up correctly?

I have another system with almost the same setup (the cdrom is not
writeable), but its devices are defined correctly.