Tar Question

Brian D. McGrew brian at doubledimension.com
Tue Sep 7 21:12:07 UTC 2004

WwW=/www
EXC=/tmp/exc.$$
cat $EXC <<EOF
/www/test
EOF

tar -zcfX /tmp/www.tar.gz $EXC -C /$WwW .

You can add anything you need to the exclude list just make sure it's
before the EOF marker.  Set $WwW to be whatever directory it is that
you're trying to tar up.

I have a script that does all this for me that I use in a nightly cron
job.  If you'd like, email me personally and I'll send it to you.

-brian

Brian D. McGrew		{ brian at doubledimension.com ||
pacemakertaker at yahoo.com }