java on RH AS 3.0?

Bob Smith bob at netprt.com
Wed Sep 8 16:23:50 UTC 2004

On one of the systems, I had only a partial install and the dependency list
was much smaller.  Once I went to a full install, that's when I opted for
redirecting the symbolic links to the regular installation.

Here's the current install of libgcj on my RH9 system:
$ rpm -q libgcj
libgcj-3.2.2-5
$ rpm -ql libgcj
/usr/bin/gij              (this is the "java" application)
/usr/bin/grepjar
/usr/bin/jar
/usr/bin/jv-convert
/usr/bin/rmic
/usr/bin/rmiregistry
/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3
/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib/security
/usr/lib/security/classpath.security
/usr/lib/security/libgcj.security
/usr/share/info/fastjar.info.gz
/usr/share/java
/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.2.2.jar
/usr/share/man/man1/gij.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/grepjar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/jar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/jv-convert.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/rmic.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/rmiregistry.1.gz

You can see that the only overlap in naming is the jar application.  You
can check to see what the current symbolic links are in the libgcj package,
and I think you may find only three or four, all together.  By changing
the symbolic links to the other package, and adding in the ones that I've
done, you actually get the typical full-bodied Java environment that most
applications use.  I do alot of Java development and web operations using
Java, and there hasn't been a problem with this structure, for probably
a year now.

Here's the current java path that you'd need to replace:
$ which java
/usr/bin/java

Your other option is to place the package in another location and change
your path statements in the various profiles to lead off with that
declaration.  I personally think this is a bit cleaner, as it solves the
dependencies, and at the same time requires not path changes that are
too easy to circumvent.

-Bob