java on RH AS 3.0?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Sep 12 21:41:20 UTC 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 18:16, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> > output of rpm -q --scripts sendmail (edited for line breaks/relevance):
> >
> > /usr/sbin/alternatives \
> > --install /usr/sbin/sendmail \ mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail 90 \
> > --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/bin/mailq.sendmail \
> > --slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases \
> >  /usr/bin/newaliases.sendmail \
> > --slave /usr/bin/rmail mta-rmail \
> >            /usr/bin/rmail.sendmail \
> > --slave /usr/lib/sendmail mta-sendmail \
> >           /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail \
> > --slave /etc/pam.d/smtp mta-pam \
> >          /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail \
> > --slave /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz mta-sendmailman \
> >            /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.sendmail.8.gz \
> > --slave /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz mta-mailqman \
> >          /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.sendmail.1.gz \
> > --slave /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.1.gz mta-newaliasesman \
> >         /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.sendmail.1.gz \
> > --slave /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.5.gz mta-aliasesman \
> >        /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.sendmail.5.gz \
> > --initscript sendmail
> >
> > any help?
>
> Um...Stuart....look at the subject.  You responded to the wrong thread.
> This one is dealing with getting Java to work with the new "alternatives"
> system, not sendmail.
Actually I didn't, although in all fairness I could have made that
clearer :-).
I was just about to go away for the weekend and probably didn't explain myself
properly. The sendmail excerpt was just there as an example. The point was -
in order to use alternatives to set up, well, alternatives for various
services there are certain steps you need to go through.
So for the java thingy you would need something like:

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/bin/java.ibm 70
--slave ... <common link name> <alternatives link name> <actual link target>

depending on how many links were required.
The slave links would all be changed when the master link was altered.
as java is not a 'service' as such, the --initscript part would be
unnecessary.

etc etc

incidentally the alternatives system is not particualrly new, it's been used
since at least RH8, where it controlled sendmail/postfix links.

Any clearer?

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX