CDROM errors on RH8

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Sun Sep 12 21:55:54 UTC 2004

Hi all
   I have a stable RH8 install on IBM xServer232.  NO recent changes.
No evidence of outside tampering.  I have suddenly seen the following
errors in response to the typed commands.  I would note that the CD
itself is good and is iso9660 and can be read by several other Linux
installs (FC1, FC2, SuSE 8 & 9.1)

   /etc/fstab appears to have the correct settings.

[root at rgeserv1 root]# dmesg | grep hda
     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x0840-0x0847, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
hda: LTN486S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

[root at rgeserv1 root]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
        or too many mounted file systems
        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

I also get this error if I type: mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    or
  mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom

I am not sure where to start looking since the built in IBM diagnostics
don't demonstrate any errors that I can find.  Can someone give me some
suggestions as to where to continue looking?

TIA

Bob