Can't Play / Rip audio CD with ide-scsi emulation

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Mon Sep 13 14:03:37 UTC 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 10:52, you wrote:
> On Monday 13 Sep 2004 13:45, you wrote:

> > > Stuart
> > > when you boot _with_ ide-scsi, what does the /dev/cdrom symlink point
> > > to? what does cdrecord -scanbus (as root) give as output?
> > > what are you trying to play your CDs with?
> >
> > OK, after some more playing around, it looks like it's more of a
> > permission problem. I can run grip and gnome-cd as root at it works with
> > ide-scsi. But not as a user. Any hints?
>
> permissions/ownership on /dev/cdrom, or more likely /dev/scd0?
> for me here they are:
> brw-------  1 stuart disk 22, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/hdc
> (FC2/2.6.8 so no ide-scsi required)
> these should be set by PAM when you login.

Aha.. I bet that's the problem. Since I have two linux machine sitting on my
desk, I usually login to that machine using ssh and export X, although it's
physically accessible for me to put in CD to that machine. Hence the
permission is not set by PAM since I never actually login to the machine. I
was just going to use that machine as a ripper for my CDs. I guess I could
just change the permission manually for now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja