Need help in configuring BIND

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Sep 15 15:39:03 UTC 2004

Actually, reload works just fine on my end...and it's still running RHL9.

What Sarfraz' message indicates, to me, is that named isn't actually
running at the time.

Behold an example from my own running system:

# service named reload
Reloading named:                                           [  OK  ]
# service named stop
Stopping named:
# slide service named reload
Reloading named: usage: killall [ OPTIONS ] [ -- ] name ...
       killall -l, --list
       killall -V --version

  -e,--exact          require exact match for very long names
  -g,--process-group  kill process group instead of process
  -i,--interactive    ask for confirmation before killing
  -l,--list           list all known signal names
  -q,--quiet          don't print complaints
  -s,--signal         send signal instead of SIGTERM
  -v,--verbose        report if the signal was successfully sent
  -V,--version        display version information
  -w,--wait           wait for processes to die

                                                           [FAILED]
# service named start
Starting named:                                            [  OK  ]

Sarfraz: Try "/etc/init.d/named start" first, or, just as good,
"/sbin/service named start".

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:

> AFAIK reload doesn't work yet just stop and start.

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit