File Dates Modified Issue

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Wed Sep 15 16:39:59 UTC 2004

Greetings -

I manage a Dell system Red Hat ES3 server that is primarily used as a Samba file server for a small office.  This is a new system for our office and I am still learning how to properly configure it.  I have noticed that whenever a user opens a file from a Windows client, then closes the file without making any changes, the Date Modified attribute displayed in Windows Explorer is updated to the current date and time.  I would like to change my system configuration so that it does not change the file date/time attribute when files are not changed.  I am not sure whether it is a Linux system change that needs to be made, or a change in the Samba configuration.  I would appreciate someone pointing me to a reference for the commands or configuration parameters that I need to modify to correct this issue.  Thanks.