Syslog over SSH

Nathaniel Hall halln at otc.edu
Thu Sep 16 16:05:24 UTC 2004

I believe I have figure out my ssh tunnel problems, however, I am still
unable to get it completly working.  Here is the setup:

Srv1 ---> LogSrv

For SSH, I have setup public key encryption to keep from having to
provide a password.  Here are the commands I am using:

On the LogSrv
        nc -l -p 9999 | nc localhost -u syslog &

On Srv1
       ssh -C -L 9999:192.168.190.153:9999 root at 192.168.190.153 & ( To
initiate the ssh connection)
       nc -l -u -p syslog | nc localhost 9999 & (To redirect to correct
ports)

I can get everything to connect, but when I try to send it logs, it does
not receive them on LogSrv.  I previously setup this test machine to log
directly using syslog and changed the configuration to test with SSH
tunnels.  It worked previously.  Now, here is what I get:

    [2]+  Stopped                 nc -l -u -p syslog | nc localhost 9999

This usually shows up when I send a test entry using Logger Test, but
not always.  Any ideas or questions, just e-mail me or the list and I'll
respond.

Nathaniel Hall
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln at otc.edu
417-799-0552