[expert] File Dates Modified Issue

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Thu Sep 16 22:33:57 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Sparenberg" <james at linuxrebel.us>
To: "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce at meridianenv.com>; "General Red Hat Linux discussion
list" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] File Dates Modified Issue

> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 00:29, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> > Greetings -
> >
> > I manage a Dell system Red Hat ES3 server that is primarily used as a
Samba file server for a small office.  This is a new system for our office
and I am still learning how to properly configure it.  I have noticed that
whenever a user opens a file from a Windows client, then closes the file
without making any changes, the Date Modified attribute displayed in Windows
Explorer is updated to the current date and time.  I would like to change my
system configuration so that it does not change the file date/time attribute
when files are not changed.  I am not sure whether it is a Linux system
change that needs to be made, or a change in the Samba configuration.  I
would appreciate someone pointing me to a reference for the commands or
configuration parameters that I need to modify to correct this issue.
Thanks.

> Not sure that you can do this.  Since the way Windows operates is that
> AFAWIC (as far as windows is concerned) if a file is opened it is
> modified.  The act of opening a file is considered a modification.
>
> James

I don't believe that the date/time attribute changed on files when they were
only open and not modified when we had a small Unix file server here prior
to installing our new Linux system.  That is what led me to think that it
was a Linux or Samba configuration issue.

Jeff