BIND Questions

kluu te linuxpower at operamail.com
Sun Sep 19 17:41:24 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Harry <hari76 at omantel.net.om>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:45:43 +0400
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: BIND Questions

> > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Harry wrote:
> >
> >> Hi I know this has been asked a zillion times, but I am still confused
> >> on this subject, and no search on the Net has cleared my doubts.
> >
> > www.howstuffworks.com is a great resource if you are confused about DNS
> > and its operation.
> >
> >> I have some Public Ips, which I have got from my ISP as I am their
> >> leased line customers. On one of the Ips I want to host my online
> >> website, my conufusion starts here
> >>
> >> 1) Do I have to make Zone Files for the site on THIS LINUX server which
> >> will have the contents of the website?
> >
> > No. (See above)
> I will read this, thanks for yr info.
> >
> >> 2)Once I regsiter my Domain for
> >> eg.with Regsiter.com, what will be the DNS settings that I will have to
> >> put ?will it be my ISPs DNS settings?
> >
> > Most ISP's will provide a service that will allow you to register a domain
> > and they will provide all the necessary setup and configuration and will
> > house your zones for you. you can then say "hi, can you please point
> > xyz.server.com at the IP 1.2.3.4 and they will handle it for you. This is
> > probably your best option to start with. After this you can then start
> > playing with DNS to get a better understanding of how it works and then
> > use the afore mentioned model to do things such as running a hidden
> > primary and not run into as many issues should your link, dns or zone
> > files become broken to the point of non-loading goodness.
> >
> > DNS can be incredibly confusing and difficult to fix should you accidently
> > introduce problems with your zone file setups.
> >
> > On the other hand, if this is a small play around domain and it matters
> > not if it works or not or takes weeks to repair should you get your TTL's
> > wrong then by al means, break away. Again tho, a good starting point would
> > be your registrar or ISP, they should have FAQ's or info that you can read
> > up on that will help you get started.
>
> I have a stupid ISP,who does domians only with their country specific, I have been trying to request them to do this with my .com domain but they seem to be headless, hence I thought let me try to put the DNS settings on my register.com site and see the affect. So u think that will work ?
You must have a fixed IP  from your isp and point to that from your account settings where you are hosting your domain, usually where you registered your domain.
Zone files are used when you setup your own DNS server and MZ records used for mailserver are put in the zone file.
You can also transfer your domain to another hosting service.