Multiple RHEL installations

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Sep 21 19:03:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:38:28 +0100, Matthew Claridge wrote:

> This is going to sound a really stupid question, but how do I install
> more than one instance of RHEL on a single hard drive and then switch
> between them in Grub?
>
> I've tried simply installing a second copy in some free space but it
> fails to see my first installation and if I add it to Grub manually it
> fails to boot from it.......This is somehting I haven't done for a long,
> long time and I'm confused.......

You chain-load the boot loaders. That means, you install GRUB for your
first RHEL instance into the master boot record (MBR) of the hard disk
drive and GRUB for each other installations into the primary sector of
its root partition. Into your primary GRUB in MRB you then add entries
which refer to the other partitions, e.g.

title Second RHEL
    root (hd0,6)
    chainloader +1

for /dev/hda7.

--
Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 1.58 1.35 1.13