Mail

Jeff jeff at virgin.net
Wed Sep 22 21:30:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:06:37 -0400, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2004, at 4:02 PM, Damien Estrada wrote:
>

>> But when i was running under Windows 2000 Advanced Server with
>> the same setting i have now ( except new SMTP and POP Servers )
>> it was working great. I have the hopto.org settings to MX gc-
>> site.hopto.org as my external mail server. Would me creating a
>> DNS record on my server do the trick ??
>>

> If you've changed SMTP/POP servers, this obviously has an effect on
> your mail service.  That's like saying "everything used to work
> before I changed all the relevant settings".
>
> Now you're using a mail server which doesn't have the necessary DNS
> records configured.  No amount of local configuration is going to
> save you until you get your DNS issues sorted out.  I don't really
> have the time to walk you through the intricacies of DNS
> administration; besides, it's something best left to the experts.
> I suggest you contact your DNS provider (ravy.com?) to resolve this
> appropriately.

Just had a quick look at the domain and you seem to be using a dyndns like provider (you real IP belongs to ADSL on bellsouth.net). Not sure how many IPs you have or if they're static, but both mail.gc-site.hopto.org and gc-site.hopto.org both point to the same IP so you probably have 1 external IP.

Things to check...

-Is sendmail listening on your LAN/external IP (i.e. not just 127.0.0.1). It doesnt by default AFAIK - check with "netstat -an | grep LISTEN"

-Are all firewalls/routers setup to allow inbound access to you mail server on tcp/25 (including any port forwarding). I did a quick check and couldnt access it - check your firewall logs.

-If you DONT have static IPs then make sure you have a program to update no-ip.com's DNS (I use ddclient).

Ive also checked DNS and MX records for your domain and they seem OK to me (Sorry Jason =P)....

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P3 <<>> mx gc-site.hopto.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gc-site.hopto.org.             IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gc-site.hopto.org.      60      IN      MX      5 mail.gc-site.hopto.org.
gc-site.hopto.org.      60      IN      MX      10 gc-site.hopto.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
gc-site.hopto.org.      60      IN      A       67.34.177.240
mail.gc-site.hopto.org. 60      IN      A       67.34.177.240

Hope this helps - the first time you do this it is a bit confusing.
Jeff