'no locks available' errno = 37"

David Saldana dsaldana at wischip.com
Thu Sep 23 00:58:20 UTC 2004

Hi All

I have 2 servers both running Redhat 8.0, kernel 2.4.20-20.8smp.
Users with their homes on one of the servers can't login using gnome.
The message that appears is
  "could not lock the file ...../gconf-test-locking-file.......
   the error was 'no locks available' errno = 37"
with some bits missed out.
Strange, but it seems that users with their home on the other server
can login using gnome.

My servers *are* running rpc.statd and rpc.lockd and the odd thing is
that when the user has clicked on ok to get rid of the error message,
I notice that their home directory has been mounted fine(using the
automounter).
So why is gnome having a problem?

Thanks

David Saldana