Multiple RHEL installations

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 01:07:27 UTC 2004

Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com

Matthew Claridge  wrote

>This is going to sound a really stupid question, but how do I install more
>than one instance of RHEL on a single hard drive and then switch between
>them in Grub?

>I've tried simply installing a second copy in some free space but it fails
>to see my first installation and if I add it to Grub manually it fails to
>boot from it.......This is somehting I haven't done for a long, long time
>and I'm confused.......

I still use lilo so cant help w grub details, but idea will be same
here is part of my fstab and lilo.conf
for two installations of rh8

[byers at linux byers]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda5               /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/sda1               /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda3               /boot2                  ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/sda7               /export                 ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda6               /root2                  ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

[root at linux root]# cat /etc/lilo.conf
prompt
timeout=50
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map