rm the un-rm-able file

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Sep 23 05:29:32 UTC 2004

On 14:28 22 Sep 2004, James H. Cutts III <jcutts at coin.org> wrote:
| Through creative fiddling with my RH 9.0 system, I have managed to
| create a file with the name '--exclude=*.work.*' (ticks not included).
| I want to delete this file.  Any suggestions on the command or on the
| Google search?   I've tried including the file name in  ' (ticks) and  "
| (quotes).  Neither resulted in success.

Naturally quotes won't do anything - "rm" never sees them - they exist purely
to tell the shell how to interpret strings.

Consider your problem: the filename resembles an option. So use a different
filename, like "./--exclude=*.work.*", which doesn't start with a dash:

	rm ./--exclude*

should be perfectly reliable.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire off the
shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the
Tannhauser Gate.  All these memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
        - Roy Baty, _Blade Runner_