Mail

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Sep 23 12:26:03 UTC 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 04:29, Damien Estrada wrote:
> Thankz for letting me know we get dat fixed ASAP....
>
> Now i have another question, I finally got sendmail to recongnize
> gc-site.hopto.org ( i think ) I telnet gc-site.hopto.org 25 and the
> servers version comes out but when i do localhost 25 nuthin comes out.
>
> N-e-wayz i edited the access and threw in there gc-site.hopto.org RELAY
> aswell as 67.34.177.240 RELAY but from what i'm seeing in the logz it's
> only Relaying for localhost. How can i change this ??
>
> Wat i think is going on is that since 127.0.0.1 is the only authorized
> relay it's blocking everything else.
>
> I edited sendmail.mc like Jeff said (thnkz) and wat happened waz :
>
>  I changed it from 127.0.0.1 to 67.34.177.20 and i couldn't get no mail
> wat so ever so i added both ( Not sure if thats correct ) and i'm
> getting local mail.
>
> Please give me all suggestions and comments thankz :)

>From out here, your mail server still not listening to the outside world. I
cannot "telnet gc-site.hopto.org 25".

1. Make absolutely sure you don't have any soft of firewall running (IP
tables, routers ,etc. If you have router you need to forward port 25 to your
machine).

2. Like Jeff said, just *comment* out the line
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
in sendmail.mc. Rebuilt sendmail.cf using the instruction on the top of that
file, restart sendmail.

3. Add your aliases for the machines in /etc/mail/local-host-names. If the
file doesn't exist, then create it. It should contains, eg:
gc-site.hopto.org
mail.gc-site.hopto.org

4. Add those domains also to the file /etc/mail/relay-domains. If the file
doesn't exist, then create it. It should contains, eg:
gc-site.hopto.org
mail.gc-site.hopto.org

5. You may want to add email address that can accept mail in gc-site.hopto.org
to the /etc/mail/virtusertable in case the local username is not the same,
eg:
myemail at gc-site.hopto.org	local-username1
myemail2 at gc-site.hopto.org	local-username2
@gc-site.hopto			root

the last entry is a catch-all, so that anything else not explicitly defined
goes to root. You can also do something like the following for catch-all:
@gc-site.hopto			error:nouser No such user here

6. Restart sendmail .

Another comment, you said when you telnet localhost it tries to access a
10.10.. address. Do you have localhost defind as anything else other then
127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts ? check that file also. If that's the case, many
network operation may break.

Hope that helps.

RDB

--