redhat-config-httpd question

Lloyd H. Meinholz lloyd.meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Fri Sep 24 17:31:04 UTC 2004

Yup, already got that one. Thanks for the warning though.

I usually ./configure with my own --prefix anyway because I run multiple
instances of apache on each server. I'm probably more worried about
running one server with ip based virtual hosts instead of multiple
apache instances than the file locations. I'll have to think a little
harder about tuning...

Another disadvantage to rpm for me is that I have other non-rpm boxes
(Solaris, gentoo, xBSD) that I don't have rpm and must build from source
on and I like the flexibility of using the same build scripts on each
system. Also, I can usually get the latest source quicker than waiting
on an rpm.

In the end though, I'm mainly looking to save time. Even something as
common as upgrading to the latest version of apache takes quite a bit of
time when you're talking about 5-7 hosts and 15-20 web sites... So if
rpm will save me a few hours time every few months, I can probably live
with its shortcomings. I can always back out later anyway.

Lloyd