Sending email problem

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Sep 25 00:19:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 09:38, Dinh Tien Tuan Anh wrote:
>   Im sorry for this uninformative question. But im quite a newbie in Linux
> world. I bet the configuration i set up were the same as that which worked
> before. There's no error at all. When i sent an email from my hotmail
> account to that account, it recieved well.
>   But whenever i tried to send an email to wherever, it just hang up with
> the message "Sending email .... ". I have to click Cancel and it said the
> message's not been sent.

If it worked before and does not work now, then something changed. Did
you install any new programs? Did you change something on the server? Do
you control the server? Does the server require SMTP-AUTH
(authentication) for you to send mail?

Can you provide any log messages (see /var/log/messages and
/var/log/maillog on the server) to show what happens during these
failures? Can you provide detailed info on what configuration you are
giving the client program? You said "the configuration I set up were
[sic] the same as that which worked before" but you did not say WHAT
THAT CONFIGURATION IS.

You need, you must, you *HAVE TO* provide details. No one can guess at
your situation remotely. At the very least, show us *everything* that
you enter as your mail client configuration. You are asked for username
and you enter "joe at mail.com". You are asked for a mail server and you
enter "mail.mail.com." See what I mean?

If you do not provide information, it is impossible to help you.
Impossible. Not difficult. That's like saying "my car worked yesterday
and does not work today. Why?" No way of knowing.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>
Simpaticus.com