Anybody using VMWare? We're thinking of trying it.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Sep 28 07:19:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 11:53, Yin Ming wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:44:17 -0500
> Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> wrote:
>
> > Yin Ming wrote:
> >
> > > Just a question. Is VMware a greedy memory eater? My box is PIII 866
> > > with only 256M mem, is it enough to run Linux and WIN2K both smoothly?
> >
> > Yes it is.  You need enough memory to support Linux as well as Win2K.
> > Each will require 256MB so trying to run Win2K inside of VMware on a
> > Linux host will be *slow*.
> >
> > 	.../Ed
>
> 256M/each!!... faint. OK, I give up.

VMWare itself isn't a memory hog.  It is the combination of the host and
guest OS that takes of the memory.

You have to decide what VMWare you are going to use.  Are you going to
use VMWare for Windows or VMWare for Linux?  Meaning, what will your
"host" machine be?  I have both....but my Linux box is more powerful
than my Windows box.

My Win2K notebook is a PIII but only about 250MHz if I recall.  It does
have 512MB (memory is not so expensive these days...except for laptops.)
I can easily run one Guest OS of Linux.  I usually do so in non-GUI mode
and assign it 180MB or so of RAM and it works just fine.

Ed

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"