Sending email problem

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Tue Sep 28 20:24:23 UTC 2004

Check to make sure you are not dropping packets to port 113 (ident).

If you are doing this and your ISP is running an MTA such as sendmail then
you will get a TCP timeout before you are able to send mail and this can
be a good two to three mins in some instances (it seems like 10 when you
are sitting and waiting)

Remember, security by obscurity is no real security - simply dropping all
inbound packets wont tell someone you are not there (you did after all
initiate a communication with the mail server). Rejecting traffic by
sending back an ICMP port unreachable is usually a far better way to go
unless you have a specific reason to silently drop packets.

--
Steve.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Dinh Tien Tuan Anh wrote:

> Hi, so sorry for the late response. Well, because this thing happens to
> Mozilla mail, so i tried to set up Ximian Evolution mail with the same
> configuration. Turned out that the email could be delivered, but takes 10
> mins more or less. Im trying to contact my ISP and ask them about the SMTP
> server.
>
> Thank you for all replies.
> TuanAnh
>

>> From: Alexey Fadyushin <fab at s-tunnel.com>
>> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
>> Subject: Re: Sending email problem
>> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:00:58 +0400
>>
>> Check the SMTP server setting in your mail software. Such a situation most
>> probably means that your computer is trying to connect to nonexistent SMTP
>> server. It is also possible that there is some problem
>> with SMTP server itself and it does not accept connections at that time.
>>
>> You also can use for mail transmission your own SMTP server running on
>> your computer (if your ISP allows it).
>>
>> Alexey Fadyushin.
>> Brainbench MVP for Linux.
>> http://www.brainbench.com.
>>
>>> On Friday 24 September 2004 11:38, Dinh Tien Tuan Anh wrote:
>>>
>>>  Im sorry for this uninformative question. But im quite a newbie in
>>> Linux
>>> world. I bet the configuration i set up were the same as that which
>>> worked