SSH Security

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Sep 29 20:10:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 03:28:04PM -0400, Charles Leeds wrote:
> Well, I will have to recant this because somehow the sshd is using
> hosts.allow and hosts.deny even though it does not appear to be called
> from the /etc/rc.d/init.d script.

You're confusing xinetd with tcpwrappers.  The openssh daemon is linked
against tcpwrappers and no matter what you do with xinetd, that doesn't
impact the tcpwrappers functionality.

If you chose to invoke xinetd for ssh connections (or any other
connections), you can also use xinetd configuration options to enhance
security.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE