Tar Problem w/ 5+ Gig {Scanned}

SW wppiphoto at wppi.com
Wed Sep 29 20:36:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a tar.gz file which is about 5 GB compressed size which I have been
having lots of problem trying to move from a redhat linux box over to my
windows xp system. I tried downloading it via ssh vftp and regular ftp but
I'm having a very diffuclt time un-tarring it. The redhat linux and my
windows computer are both on the same network. My default program is winrar
which fails to untar the archive w/ "!Unexpected end of archive". So, I
tried the win32 port of tar but to only find out that it can't read
compressed archives tar.gz. :-( So, I tried to just tar the file without any
compression but that still fails even though the tar dos command untarred it
without any errors, it was missing some files.

My question is how do others do it when they need to move such large
archives.  I use the following tar command but I'm hoping someone here can
tell me of a better way to do this or maybe recommand something other than
tar for this instance:

tar --verify -czvf archive.tar.gz directory/

Also, can I create multi volume archive and specify the size of each archive
(like 500MB each)?

Thanks,

SW

        WPPi.com        |        WPPi.Net
  http://www.wppi.com   |  http://www.wppi.net
WPPi.com & WPPi.Net MailScanner Signature
This message has been scanned for viruses
and dangerous content by WPPi MailScanner,
and has been found to be clean.