DNS server with MySQL Backend

Tobias Speckbacher TSpeckbacher at quova.com
Sat Apr 2 08:30:03 UTC 2005

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 05:21:09PM -0800, Tobias Speckbacher wrote:
> > > Why do you want a MySQL back-end?  The DNS works just
> fine under look
> > > with the existing flat-file backends.
> >
> > True but flat files sometimes don't provide the flexibility
> you might
> > need.
> > A web hosting company hosting 10's of thousands of domains
> might be a
> > good example.  Think about tech support needing to change
> an entry.  Or
> > automatic provisioning of domains, or parking domains.
>
> True, but I believe that small domains like .com and .net are hosted
> using flat files.  There are a few entries there...

You are talking about 2 zones, although very large ones, I was talking about 10k+ zones.
In fact if you are dealing with zones of that size a DB backend will probably cripple your lookup performance with the available
tie-ins for bind.

> > This is a lot easier to do with a DB backend.  Of course
> you could store
> > it all in a db and then write some scripts to dump the flat
> files and
> > cycle the server.  Doubt that would be very practical though.
>
> You wouldn't cycle the server - you'd use dynamic updates.

Dynamic DNS updates only work on existing zones, as far as i know there is no way to create new zones with
nsupdate.  If all you are going to do is modify a few existing zones, by all means, flat files and nsupdate are what you want.

I have worked on nameservers with close to or over 100k domains on it and i can tell you its not pretty.
Computing power then was nowhere near where it is today reloading the servers to pick up new zones took forever.

The only scenario I would really recommend using a DB backend for is if your business requires you to add and delete zones very very frequently (webhosting for example).  If adding and deleting zones is uncommon to your business, nsupdate is what you want to use.