APC2200 and Linux

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sun Apr 3 06:06:41 UTC 2005

On Saturday 02 April 2005 8:38 pm, Robert Canary wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to install and
> configure PowerChute on a Redhat system and use it
> to notify other servers(on the same ups) to
> shutdown.  APCs documentation is terrible (of what
> I have found).  The installatoin gose fine.  But
> how do I get to the control panels, and set up
> other machines to be a slave?
>
> I see no way to configure the PowerChute or
> control it.  This is really aggravating, as I was
> needing to have this done before Sun 12(noon)
> (trying to go on vacation).  And I have been
> studying on this for 4 days already.
>
> What is everyone using to control an APC
> Master/Slave PC?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> --
>    robert canary
>   system services
>     OCDirect.Net
> (270)298-9331 (o)

Not sure about that model, but usually you'll need to connect to the ups via
the serial connection to set it up. Even if it has a web interface, you'll
probably need to first connect via telnet on a serial line.

We have a APC Symmetra and I use the powerchute 'network shutdown' software.
IIRC, after initial set up of the UPS, I can install the PowerChute software
on a server, then go to the web interface to the UPS (or telnet in) and tell
it to connect to and add the IP address of the server to the list of systems
to notify. However, the different models may use different iterations of
PowerChute.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce
www.linux1.ca