forwarding logs

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Apr 5 17:24:08 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 12:03, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> An update...
>
> It appears that any script that has a "mailto" of root does not get
> forwarded.  If I change the "mailto" to root at host.domain, then it seems to
> work.  I think there is something subtlr going on here.  Any clues?

Hm... not sure if I can help any.
What OS are you talking about here? What script for what log ? Based on my
experience, once you set up the aliases for root in /etc/aliases, it does not
matter what happens in the machine or script.  Any email that is accepted by
the sendmail (as MDA) for root will get forwarded to the account you set up
in the alias. The script does not have anything to do with that.

But I could be wrong. I've used this approach on all our machines (Redhat
7.x-9, RHEL 3,4, Fedora) and it always works.

Could you try, as local user to the machine, send email locally to root, and
see if you get it in the expected email account ? something like

user> echo "helloworld" | mail root

This will make sure that local email to root works.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Dept. Physics and Astronomy