MySQL in installed but mysqld nowhere to be found!!!!

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Apr 9 22:06:55 UTC 2005

Evan Panagiotopoulos wrote:
> This is VERY confusing!!!!! I bought and installed the Red Hat
> enterprise version thinking that I will be  getting a "better"
> product. During the installation I selected ALL packages under mysql
> and almost all packages from the rest of the optional ones. The rpm
> product of RedHat _should_ find all dependencies. Well, I issue the
> command "mysql" and I receive "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local
> MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> "

I've been a RH user for years.  Recently I picked up a copy of SuSE 9.2.
  In some areas it is "better", in some areas it is "worse".  But,
mostly there are just "differences".

It is a matter of getting familiar with it and not getting too frustrated.

Take deep breaths....count to 10....

> Where is the mysql process?

See my other message...

> Then, I call RedHat, since I have some sort of support, and after I
> punched 1, then 3, then 2, then 22 on the phone, I got a stupid
> message stating that their offices are closed on Saturdays! And I
> thought Microsoft was evil.

If you check the documentation on "support" there is this thing called
an "SLA" or "Service Level Agreement".  In there you would notice that
they tell you ahead of time their operating hours.  It is not "evil" it
is their business hours.  They are not a 7-11 and never claimed to be.

> At any rate, now that I have a load of software installed I will
> probably have to re-install and this time I will select to install
> all packages.

That won't help...and you will just be wasting your time and you will
get even more upset.  (Take deeper breaths...).

As I said, mysql is in the "extras channels"....  Long story there as to
how it ended up in it.  But, I'm going back to catch a few more Z's..
The only reason I am up this early on the weekend is to answer your
email.  OK, I lied.  One of my cats puked.

Enjoy.

Oh, also readup on up2date (man up2date).

[egreshko at misty lib]$ sudo up2date --show-channels --nox
rhel-i386-ws-3
rhel-i386-ws-3-extras
rhel-i386-ws-3-devsuite

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".