Blackhole

Chris Kenward kenwardc at tgis.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 12:24:07 UTC 2005

Hi Folks

Not sure whether this is the right spot for this. If not could someone
please suggest where to take it to?

I've just discovered a file called "blackhole" in the /tmp directory on one
of my Redhat ES servers, which is completely up to date so a bit gobsmacked
that this could happen.

Could some kind soul tell me how to get rid of it along with any listening
devices which may have been installed, and how to protect from it again?

The machine is a web server and is therefore available via port 80. I also
allow customers to FTP into the server using vsftpd which I thought was
pretty secure. Not sure if either of these could be the culprit this time...

Regards
Chris