NTP Problems Redux

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:55:38 UTC 2005

Hi All,

So several weeks ago, I asked for some help with an NTP problem I am having.
I have tried the suggestions provided, and have progressed further, but
still have not had much luck.

With this in my ntp.conf file,
# grep -v ^$ /etc/ntp.conf |grep -v ^#
restrict default nomodify
server 0.ca.pool.ntp.org
server 1.ca.pool.ntp.org
server 2.ca.pool.ntp.org
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
authenticate no
keys            /etc/ntp/keys

I stop the ntpd service, and run ntpdate to check the configs:
# ntpdate
11 Apr 09:52:36 ntpdate[31314]: no servers can be used, exiting

But If I manually specify the servers, it works fine.
# ntpdate 0.ca.pool.ntp.org 1.ca.pool.ntp.org 2.ca.pool.ntp.org
11 Apr 09:52:49 ntpdate[31316]: adjust time server 142.179.100.217 offset
0.0177 63 sec

Removing the "restrict default nomodify" has no effect either.  What am I
doing wrong?  Also, I have tried ntpdate -d -v and no further info is
returned.

Regards,
Gavin.