Bluetooth NAP

Jeff jeff at virgin.net
Tue Apr 12 18:09:48 UTC 2005

The guys on the bluez list are a bit quiet today. Does anyone have much
experience setting up a bluetooth network access point?

Cheers
Jeff

====================

Hi All,

I having a few probs setting up a BT NAP access point. I'm running...

Fedor Core 3 w/ kernel 2.6.9-1.667 (Bluetooth built into the kernel)

$ rpm -qa | grep  blue
bluez-pin-0.23-3
bluez-hcidump-1.11-1
bluez-utils-2.10-2
bluez-libs-2.10-2
bluez-bluefw-1.0-6

/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf....

options {
       autoinit yes;
       security auto;
       pairing multi;
       pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin;
}
device {
       name "potchin";
       class 0x120104;
       iscan enable; pscan enable;
       lm accept;
       lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;
}

with a usb-tech usb BT dongle
(http://www.usbtech.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/266)

The physical layer seems to be up - i can perform an l2ping to the other
device and get a response. The client machine (Win XP SP2) detects the
Linux box and can see some of the sdp services I add (serial port for
example) but cannot detect the NAP services.

I'm running pand with "pand --listen --role=NAP" and it registers the
NAP service with sdp...

$ sdptool browse local
Browsing FF:FF:FF:00:00:00 ...
Service Name: Public Browse Group Root
Service Description: Root of public browse hierarchy
Service Provider: BlueZ
Service RecHandle: 0xf81f9008
Service Class ID List:
 "Browse Group Descriptor" (0x1001)
Language Base Attr List:
 code_ISO639: 0x656e
 encoding:    0x6a
 base_offset: 0x100

Service Name: Network Access Point
Service RecHandle: 0xf81f96f0
Service Class ID List:
 "Network access point" (0x1116)
Protocol Descriptor List:
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 15
 "BNEP" (0x000f)
   Version: 0x0100
   SEQ16: 800 806
Profile Descriptor List:
 "PAN access point" (0x1116)
   Version: 0x0100

Service Name: SDP Server
Service Description: Bluetooth service discovery server
Service Provider: BlueZ
Service RecHandle: 0x0
Service Class ID List:
 "SDP Server" (0x1000)
Protocol Descriptor List:
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 1
   Version: 0x0001
Language Base Attr List:
 code_ISO639: 0x656e
 encoding:    0x6a
 base_offset: 0x100

Can anyone help - should windows pick up a PAN from the NAP service (Im
using the standard M$ drivers)?

Have I missed something? Has anyone got a URL for a HOWTO on FC3 - I've
set this up from various FAQs that seem a bit old or partly irrelevant
(i.e. they talk about installing kernel modules or are debian orientated).

Also, where can I get a full list of sdp services and their
appriviations for sdptool?

Thanks in advance
Jeff