rawhide

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Apr 23 16:26:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:

> That's RH 7.1 I think?  (It's one of the releases, but I can't remember
> which)

Rawhide was the nickname for the Red Hat Linux development "release".
The devel directory contained the latest (not necessarily QA'ed) RPMs for
RHL, so it was a "rolling release". The name comes from the old TV western
of the same name, whose theme song had lyrics "Rollin', Rollin',
Rollin'...Rawhide!"

These days, it's used as a synonym for the Fedora development tree.

>    -Tom

 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu