Partitioning Software

glm birdflower at optusnet.com.au
Fri Apr 1 06:00:51 UTC 2005

Hi Janet,
The dual boot exercise that you wish to achieve with XP and RedHat 8 is
interesting
and worthwhile. However it is not easy the first and second time you
attempt it.
I use it constantly with XP on ASDL(USB/Ethernet Router) and RH9 (My
preferred RH OS) on Dial up (Serial Port Modem) .

I believe the exercise is best achieved as follows.
1. Install XP on your machine. Hans and darshan are correct as XP will
remove RH8 in the process
and partition the Hard Drive for you in Fat 32 or NTFS ( Your Choice). I
use Fat 32 as it is more compatable
with old software.
To achieve this you must set your machine to boot from the XP CD. You do
this by changing the Boot Sequence
(Boot Disc Priority in Gateway Machines) in the Bios Set up Utility to
read 1st Boot Device CDROM, 2nd Boot
Device HARD DRIVE, and 3rd Boot Device REMOVABLE DEV(Floppy).
You access the Bios Set up Utility during Boot Up by Pressing the Delete
Key once or by continuously Pressing the F1 Key at
one second intervals (Gateway and some Others); then go to the Boot Menu
and follow the Instructions to change the Boot Sequence.

Following the Install of XP it will be necessary to reset the Boot
Sequence to the Default Setting of 1st Boot Device
REMOVABLE DEV(Floppy), 2nd Boot Device HARD DRIVE, and 3rd Boot device
CDROM.

2. Set Up XP. (See www.BlackViper.com) Turn off System Restore, adjust
XP to run at Best Performance, remove unnecessary
Services, turn on the XP Firewall, or Install Zone Alarm Pro, and
install the McAfee on line Virus Scanner or similar ( Preferably from a
CD).
Install the Modem and Connect to the Internet to Set up and Update
XP(Windows Update) and Service Pack 2 (Preferably from a CD).

3. Enjoy Windows XP.
Don't forget to Defrag occasionally, and to Download and Install Anti
SpyWare Programs - SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware SE.(Both Free)
Registry First Aid and Norton's Utilities in my opinion are Must Haves
for XP.
(Not required with Linux)

4.Install RH8 or perhaps RH9. It appears to be more Stable for me using
Mozilla Mail and Abi Word.
You must first Partition the Hard Drive to make room for Linux. To do
this I use Paragon Partition Manager Downloaded to a Floppy from
an APC Magazine CD or from www.majorgeeks.com (Free Demo). (Less
intrusive and a simpler result than Partition Magic, Fdisk, or the Open
Source Alternatives for me) and proceed as follows.

Insert the Floppy and allow it to boot into normal mode and progress to
23 files copied Extracting MOUSE.COM already exists. Overwrite:
Press y Key on each occasion(16 times) to View Hard Drive Layout. You
will notice that XP will have used say 2.3G on Vol C: Primary FAT 32
and that in this example 7.3G is Free and Bootable.
You then resize the Hard Drive as required by pressing the Resize
button, adjusting the slider to say 5900, and pressing OK. PPM will then
move all the XP Data without loss and Resize the Partition (10 minutes).
You now have 2 Partitions one FAT32 of 5.8G and one free of 3.8G for
Linux. Now Press EXIT, remove the Floppy, and Reboot the Machine.

It is now necessary to again change the Boot Sequence as explained in
Step1, and then to Install RH 8 or 9 on the New Partition as you will
have done previously.
I suggest you Install the Personal Desktop; and, it is important to
select Automatically Partition and then to select Keep all partitions
and use
existing free space. As the RH installer anaconda can also remove the XP
OS and reinstall RHx only.
Then use the default Grub boot loader press Next and you will Install
RHx on /dev/hda3 with Windows XP on /dev/hda1.
It is wise to make an RH boot up Disc when prompted in case the GRUB
bootloader malfunctions.
Now complete the RHx Install, Reboot, and select either Linux or Windows
. RHx will start as the Default, for XP select DOS then Enter.

I suggest that you update RHx using YUM from
http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download.ptml and follow the
Install and
user Instructions. If you require a anti virus program try F-Prot Anti
virus for Linux (Free), Install the rpm and follow the Instructions

Janet unfortunately there is no simpler way that I am aware of, however
it is well worth the effort and if it mucks up for you just go back
to Step1 and remember you cannot damage your Computer in any way using
the above procedures.

Please persevere and let us know how it works out for YOU.

Regards,
Glynn.