SATA controller problems - IRQ's!

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 1 20:09:16 UTC 2005

I'm trying to install a SATA drive into my RHEL3-AS system but am having
lot's of problems. The mobo is the gigabyte GA-7VAX with most recent BIOS
(F13), which does not have onboard SATA. So I've got a PCI-SATA controller
in a PCI slot, it's the SIIG SC-SAT212 (two channel SATA, non-RAID), which
has the SIL 3112 chip in it. The drive is IBM 400GB. Both the SATA adapter
and card are known good, they work fine in windows.

But in RHEL3-AS, the drive shows up as /dev/hda, and I can fdisk the drive
just fine, but as soon as I try to create a filesystem on /dev/hda1, the
system IRQ's start going beserk, and the load goes up to 7-8, and the
system is unusable. I can wait for the mkfs to finish, but then any time I
access the new filesystem, the system IRQ's go nuts again (75-90% usage).

What is the deal with SATA controllers and IRQ's in linux?

Anyone have an idea if it's a driver issue? If so, where can I download
the right driver? Or do I have to install with a special option?

By the way, I also tried RHEL4-AS, and FC3, and those as well have the
same IRQ problem.

Thanks!

Alex