how do i recover from an up2date failure?

Barry Schiffman schiffo2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 04:43:01 UTC 2005

Up2date screwed up on my RH ES 3.0 system, and I'd
like to know how to get out of this gracefully.

I usually update the packages with -nox soon after
advisories come in, but I got an error last night, so
I tried the gui. I got through the installing and
removal of old packages, according to the log, and
then began 'updating transaction list'

At that point, the python scripts broke, specifically
rpcServer.py -- I've seen this in Bugzilla -- line
104, IndexError -- and the up2date process itself is
in some kind of deadlock now, and has been for an hour
and a half. I'll leave it for now just in case though
I have no evidence that anything is being retried.

So what do I need to do now to keep my rpm db correct?
I don't know up2date well, but old logs show it still
needs to add the packages to the profile, and then
remove the .hdr and .rpm files.

Thanks,