installation of RH9 thru NFS

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Apr 2 12:06:40 UTC 2005

On Saturday 02 April 2005 12:10, AA wrote:
> Hi Shiraz,
>
> Copying the cd's in the directory wouldn't work fine with NFS
> installtion. It would perfect with FTP and HTTP installation.
yes it will. I do this at least once a week for my job...

the 'install tree not found' error message can sometimes be caused by
passing the wrong information to anaconda on boot - anaconda expects to
see a 'RedHat' directory - it uses the RedHat/base and  RedHat/RPMS
directories to do the install. I take it they are both there?
in Shiraz's case the info passed to anaconda should be
Server: ip.address.of.install.server (or even the hostname if DNS is
functional. I find IPs more reliable)
directory: /linuxdir - ie the directory *containing* 'RedHat'
what does tail -f /var/log/messages on the install server say when you
try your install? Is the directory successfully mounted?

> For NFS, just create a folder and use the 'dd'commmand to copy each
> of the disk into the folder. Provide the /foldername in the space
> when you are prompted for during installation.
this works too, but is noticeably slower than a 'proper' install tree.
> And then you need the services up and running for NFS.

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP
He who hates vices hates mankind.