Using FC3 on a P1 as a router

Eucke euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Sat Apr 2 19:39:10 UTC 2005

Earl Eiland wrote:

>Will FC3 work on something as old as a Pentium 1, or is it suffering
>from too much code bloat?
>
>I'd like to be able to use Gnome, need  to run a fire wall, and (believe
>it or not,) need to read and write CD's as well.  I'll be installing a
>new CD R/W unit.
>
>Earl Eiland

I love RH and FC...but have you considered smoothwall?
www.smoothwall.org   It's a purpose built linux kernel based firewall
solution.  I know you want to use Gnome and read and write CD's but for
a Pentium Class machine I think you're looking for more than the
hardware will make happen for you.  If all you want is a firewall
there's a number of good apps out there.  I use smoothwall and have been
happy with it's performance.

YMMV

--
Eucke