SSH2

Mike Klinke mklinke at axsi.com
Wed Apr 6 04:09:28 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 17:43, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> I wonder why though the firewall (iptables) doesn't automatically
> block ip addresses after say 20 failed attempts? Is this
> possible?

You can run sshd via xinetd for access to various filtering.  For
example you can set up for example you can specify:

per_source ---

Takes an integer or "UNLIMITED" as an argument.  This specifies the
maximum instances of  this  service  per source  IP address.

cps ---

Limits the rate of incoming  connections.  Takes two arguments.
The  first argument is the number of connections per second to
handle.  If the rate of  incoming  connections is higher than this,
the service will be temporarily disabled.  The second argument  is
the number  of seconds to wait before re-enabling the service after
it has been disabled.

only_from ---

Limit connection to certain addresses.

and others ----